LEADERSHIP SKILLS ENHANCEMENT COURSE
…for School Prefects
School Prefects are Leaders and they need training. This training is what FLED has provided to schools around the country since 1998.
What is LESEC?
Leadership Skills Enhancement Course (LESEC) is a life skills development Course that builds the leadership competence of college prefects. The Course deals with the theoretical and practical challenges prefects face in school and how they can handle them. Since 1998, prefects of schools in different parts of the country have been trained through LESEC. A Training Manual of LESEC has been published with the title College Prefects are Leaders. The Manual has been duly assessed by the Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC) and approved by the Federal Ministry of Education to be used for the training of school prefects in Nigeria.
We are available to conduct the training for prefects anywhere around the Country. Please review the course content and contact us as soon as you can.
Objectives of LESEC are to enable prefects to:
- Identify what leadership is and what it is not.
- Develop practical leadership skills including team skills and goal setting.
- Recognize values that sustain leadership including Fairness, Trustworthiness, Respect, & Accountability.
- Develop ability to communicate assertively, make decisions, and take responsibility.
- Acquire basic skills in conflict resolution for Peer Mediation
- Recognize and apply the principle of due process in relating with schools authority.
- Reconcile academics with prefects responsibilities.
The following outcomes are noted:
- Enhanced knowledge on the concept of leadership
- Increased ability to work together as a team in setting and implementing goals.
- Practical demonstration of leadership values as fairness, Trustworthiness, Respect, & Accountability
- Increased readiness to mediate among students in resolving minor conflicts in the school.
- Increased awareness on how to relate with school authority through due process.
- Willingness to work with teachers to enforce school rules and regulations.
- Increased ability to take responsibilities thereby giving teachers more time to concentrate on preparing lesson notes, thus improving quality time for teaching and learning.
LESEC is a foundational course that prepares these emerging leaders for the challenges of leadership both in school today, and for the future.
PART 1: PERSONAL LEADERSHIP CONTEXT
- What leadership is
- What leadership is not
- Key values that sustain leadership
- A Prefect as a leader
The BRA Leadership Principle
- What is BRA
- Elements of Responsibility
- Indicators of Accountability
Responsibility Identification & Mapping
- Responsibility Mapping
- Responsibility Description
Good Grooming & Self-esteem
- A Leader’s personality circle
- Indicators of Good grooming for leadership
- What is Self-esteem?
- Elements of Self-esteem
Assertive Communication Skills
- What is Assertiveness?
- Individual’s rights versus assertiveness
- Behaviours that promote assertiveness
- How to test personal assertiveness
PART TWO: WHAT DO LEADERS DO?
Decision Making Process
- Why should leaders make decisions?
- How leaders make decisions
- Key lessons about decision making
Vision Development & Goal setting
- What is vision?
- How leaders develop vision statements
- How leaders set goals
- A prefect as a goal setter
- Key lessons about goal setting
- What is conflict?
- The potential benefits of conflict
- Causes of conflict
- Skills for conflict resolution in a school setting
- Prefects as Peer Mediators
Team Work and Problem Solving
- Characteristics of a team
- Problem Solving Exercises
- Guidelines for Group Exercises
- Dealing with Practical Leadership Issues (Group Activity)
- How to Plan a Weekend Social Programme for students
- How to design and implement a Project that could be sustained by Prefects
- How Prefects can deal with Truancy among Students
- How Prefects can improve relationships between the students & teachers and between their school & other schools around.
The Principle of ‘Due Process’
- Elements of Due Process
- Due Process Checklist
- How Prefects Can Organize Meetings
Some Schools that have taken the Course in the recent past:
Queens College, Lagos; Trinity International School, Ofada, Ogun State; Dansol High School, Lagos; Supreme Education Foundation, Lagos; Cayley College, Lagos; Atlantic Hall School, Lagos; Landmark College, Lagos; Chrisland College, Lagos; Premier Academy, Lugbe Abuja, Africa International College, Abuja; Graceland International School, Port Harcourt, and many others.
GROUP COURSE FEE
One-day Session (N150k)
2-day Session (N200k)
3-day Session (N350k)
Fee is inclusive of work book & Certificates, only
To book, please call:
0803 326 1363,
0708 015 7176